FOIA (Freedom Of Information)
CCAO Freedom of Information Department
- Mark Kos
- Michael Beaver
The Freedom of Information Officer (FOIA Officer) receives requests submitted to the CCAO under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and ensures that the CCAO responds in accordance with FOIA. The FOIA Officer also develops lists of documents or categories of records maintained by the Operating Department(s).
Preferred Method to Request Records (free of charge)
Members of the public are encouraged to file FOIA requests via the GovQA platform linked here.
Alternative Method to Request Records (fees may apply)
You can file a FOIA Request online. In-person visits to the Assessor's Office are now available by appointment only. Schedule an appointment and read about other ways to get services.
- Via Mail or in Person: Requests for inspection or copies of public records must be made in writing and directed to the:
- CCAO Freedom of Information Officer
- 118 North Clark Street
- Chicago, Illinois 60602
- Via Fax: (312) 603-3616
Fees and Costs
FOIA grants a public body the authority to charge fees pursuant to the provisions of the FOIA “except when a fee is otherwise fixed by statute…” 5 ILCS 140/6(b).
The Property Tax Code Section 14-30 allows the CCAO to charge a “…fee of 35 cents per page of legal size or smaller and $ 1 for each larger page…”
The Property Tax Code Section 9-20 allows a charging of a “…reasonable fee established by the custodian…” for property record cards.
Important FOIA Links
- Read Full Text of the Illinois Freedom of Information Act
- CCAO Records Directory
- About the CCAO Office
- List of CCAO Offices
Important Documents Available to Download
- Sample Form "Request to Inspect Records Under the FOIA"
- Block Diagram of Functional Subdivisions
- Total Amount of the Operating Budget
- Divisions and Incentives Filing Fees
The CCAO's total number of full and part-time employees is approximately 242.